Thursday, March 17, 2011

Kevin Tong's "Dune" Movie Poster

I was going to wait until all of the David Lynch inspired prints from Phone Booth Gallery were up at their website and then write a post about my favorites, but Kevin Tong's entry was just too good to miss. This is also, believe it or not, my first post about a Kevin Tong print. I'm as shocked as you are!

Dune

My first foray into Mr. Lynch's filmography was the very bizarre Eraserhead, followed by Blue Velvet, Elephant Man and then Dune. To this day I still don't really understand all of it (I've never read the book), but it's clear that the cast and crew made something very special, and a little bit weird. Much like the film, Tong's poster has so much going on that it can be a bit intimidating from a distance, but from what I've seen of the close up shots (which can be found at Kevin's Tragic Sunshine), this poster features some absolutely jaw dropping detail. I especially love the sand worms weaving in and out of the scenery, Captain Picard as Gurney Halleck, and that yellow-orange hue that so perfectly captures the arid deserts of Arrakis.

Since one paragraph certainly doesn't do this poster justice, I figured I would include some of Kevin's inspiration in his own words. This snippet was taken from his blog, to see the entirety of his walkthrough head over to Tragic Sunshine.
"My goal was to create a time-line of events embedded in sedimentary soil layers, starting with the beginning of the film, up to the part where the main character confronts the monstrous sand worm. The events in the film are epic and would go down in history. Just like how our archeologists find the stories in the soil, so would archeologists in the universe of the storyline."
Unfortunately, this poster already sold out on Phone Booth Gallery's online store, but fear not, for more will be available through Kevin Tong's site at a future date. Kevin Tong's signed and numbered Dune poster measures 18" x 24", was screen printed with four colors on Lemon Drop French Paper, and is limited to an edition of 100. To keep up with the drop details be sure to follow Kevin on Twitter, Facebook and Tragic Sunshine. Now how do I end this post? A picture of Sting wearing a blue diaper? Nah, too childish. I've got it.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain." - Paul Atreides
Yep. Glad I went with a classy quote and not a ridiculous picture of Sting. It would be immature to even link to it. Yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Trolling, Please.