Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Alex Pardee's "My Favorite Monsters" Prints Part 1

I was going to call this post "My Favorite 'My Favorite Monsters'," but that seemed a bit confusing, so in place of a perplexing title I figured I would sum up, as quickly as I can, tonight's write-up.

A little more than a year ago, Alex Pardee started releasing small prints that featured some of his favorite cinematic baddies, calling the collection "My Favorite Monsters." These were open edition (meaning they're not limited) 5" x 7" prints made with archival inks and were very affordable. Fast forward to this year's Comic-con and me aimlessly walking the convention center floor when, like a body of water in a desert, I see Pardee's Zero Friends booth and immediately commenced spending quite a bit on Alex's wonderfully monstrous creations (i.e. I bought a bunch). I've purchased way more of his "My Favorite Monsters" collection than I'm willing to talk about in just one post (it would be a massive post), but I've decided that every once in a while I'll take a moment to shine a light on some of my favorite "My Favorite Monsters." Are you as confused as I am?

"ALIEN" Art Print
Alex Pardee
5" x 7"
$10 - Open edition
Inspired By: Alien

I thought I might go with the alien theme tonight, and where better to start than the alien from Alien? The thing I really like about these prints, beside the fact that they're spectacularly affordable and kind of awesome in every conceivable way, is the slightly quick, slightly messy watercolor aesthetic Pardee goes for here. I'm also partial to the way in which the artist combines the more detailed parts of the alien   (the Russian nesting mouthing) with the less defined portions of the body (everything else). The "ALIEN" print is available through the Zero Friends store for $10. The print measures 5" x 7" and is an open edition.

"Gorilla Wolf" Art Print
Alex Pardee
5" x 7"
$10 - Open edition
Inspired By: Attack the Block

I love Attack the Block! It is, without question, my favorite film this year (so far, at least), and it appears that Alex Pardee liked the film quite a bit as well. So much so, in fact, that he created this print in honor of the badass extraterrestrial creatures from the film. Absolutely brilliant stuff! I've ordered two of these (one for hanging, the other for safekeeping) and can't wait to get them in the mail. The "Gorilla Wolf" print is available for purchase through Zero Friends, costs $10, is an open edition and measures 5" x 7". To learn more about Alex Pardee be sure to visit eyesuckink.com.

"PREDATOR" Art Print
Alex Pardee
5" x 7"
$10 - Open edition
Inspired By: Predator

Let's finish this post up with 80s action icon and sworn enemy of Arnold Schwarzenegger (sorry T-1000, you've got nothing on this guy). Yes, that's right the Predator. Unlike Pardee's "ALIEN" and "Gorilla Wolf" print, his "PREDATOR" print has a lot more fine detail - which really accentuates all of his dangerous hunting gear and armor. Pardee's "PREDATOR" print is an open edition, costs $10, measures 5" x 7" and is available through the Zero Friends storefront. Check out eyesuckink.com to learn more about the demented mind that created all of these prints.

That's it for this round, but at some point in the future I'll put together a part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Trolling, Please.