Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Martin Ansin's "Mummy" Movie Posters

Disclaimer: Martin Ansin is my absolute favorite artist working in the poster world today. I pretty much love everything the guy has ever done (especially his Mondo work) and am quite unabashed in my admiration and completely biased obsession with his artistic creations.

Alright, with that out of the way I think I can start talking objectively about Ansin's excellent Mummy poster.

The Mummy Movie Poster (Regular)
Martin Ansin
24" x 36"
$45 - Limited to 385

The Mummy Movie Poster (Variant with Hieroglyphs)
Martin Ansin
24" x 36"
$75 - Limited to 150

As some of you may know, I was at this year's SDCC and one of the many benefits of going to the recent Comic-Con was that, for the first time ever, Mondo had a booth on the exhibit floor. This was incredibly exciting both as a poster lover and film fan (kind of sounds like flim-flam), but was also cause for some apprehension. You see, Mondo released two amazing Martin Ansin wood prints during SDCC, but no paper-based posters from the artist. I knew in my heart of hearts that surely Justin Ishmael and gang would eventually release these posters in a more traditional paper form, but still, there was that seed of doubt that by not purchasing the wood prints I was somehow missing out on a once-in-a-lifetime chance to own Ansin-created Mummy and Planet of the Apes artwork. As it turns out, I was right about the The Mummy as Mondo has announced two breathtaking additions to Mondo's Universal Horror poster series (Wolf Man, Bride of Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, and now The Mummy).

Excessive exposition aside, these posters are fantastic and it's clear Martin is at the top of his game. Just take a look at the insane amount of detail on Imhotep's face - you can see every nook and cranny of the mummy's withered and desiccated visage. And while I think I like the regular version best due to its arid yellow hue, I've got a ton of respect for the truly unique variant poster, which offers more than just a change in color. I'll let Mr. Ansin explain in greater detail (taken from Martin's website):
"A variant version has the film title and credits carefully translated to ancient egyptian hieroglyphs by an egyptologist at the University of Chicago, which is completely epic."
Martin Ansin's Mummy posters will be available tomorrow (8/11) through Mondo at a random time. Both posters measure 24" x 36", with the regular edition costing $45 and limited to 385, and the variant edition costing $75 and limited to 150. Be sure to follow @MondoNews for the exact drop time and visit martinansin.com to see the rest of Martin's portfolio.

4 comments:

  1. Such an amazing poster. I was only able to get Invisible Man this morning, because this one sold out the second before I clicked to check out! I wish I got the wood variant at Comic-Con this year, I think he's my favorite artist right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely empathize! I grabbed an Invisible Man at SDCC, but totally missed the boat when trying to pick up a Mummy poster yesterday morning. I ended up having to go the secondary market route with eBay - I just had to have it. And I couldn't agree more regarding Ansin; I think one of the many reasons his posters work so well is because they're able to seamlessly bridge the gap between fine art and pop-culture celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I Use This Photo In Some Shirts?

    ReplyDelete

No Trolling, Please.