Saturday, November 12, 2011

Gimetzco's "Bargain Bin: Collected" Art Print

As you may know, Posterocalypse is fueled by my unhealthy passion for film and a bordering-on-obsessive love of art, but what may not be so well known, is that I’m also a huge comics nerd. When these three things come together to form some sort of super-powered Kryptonite-fearing holy trinity, I’ve got to tell the world about it.

"Bargain Bin: Collected" Art Print
Gimetzco (AKA Andrew Bargeron)
Multiple sizes - Open Edition
Priced depending on size

How would you describe "Bargain Bin: Collected"? Well..
“Imagine a world in which these specific films were never films at all, rather, they were comics, perhaps later to be made into the films we love...”
That’s how Gimetzco describes his print and I couldn’t have put it better myself, although I’m fairly certain that has something to do with the fact that I’m not the artist (or very concise in anything I write). I think what I appreciate most about Gimetzco’s “Bargain Bin: Collected," besides the obvious skill on display and the eerie sense of nostalgia he manages to capture so perfectly, is that he didn’t just translate the films directly to the comic format verbatim. Instead, he created a Fringe-worthy alternate universe where these films never existed and where everything, including the works of Kubrick, Tarantino, and the Coen Brothers, is just slightly off. I wonder if Bizarro Quentin Tarantino would be super relaxed and comfortable in his own skin during interviews? I’ll admit that it took me a few seconds to figure out a few of the references, but I think anyone who’s a fan of the moving pictures will really get a kick of what Gimetzco has put together.

In my opinion, the image of “Bargain Bin: Collected” at Society6 didn't do the print justice, so I thought I’d post the individual covers that make up this ode to cinema by way of the funny pages.

Inspired By: Inglourious Basterds
Inspired By: My Science Project

Inspired By: Planet Terror
Inspired By: Trainspotting

Inspired By: Teen Wolf
Inspired By: Repo Man

Inspired By: Hardware
Inspired By: Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior

Inspired By: The Fifth Element
Inspired By: Barton Fink

Inspired By: A Clockwork Orange
Inspired By: Run Lola Run

Gimetzco’s “Bargain Bin: Collected” is currently available through his Society6 store in a variety of sizes, and is an open edition. For more info on the artist be sure to visit his blog at gimetzco.tumblr.com and follow him on Twitter @gimetzco.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Trolling, Please.