Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Ken Taylor's "Drive" Movie Poster

Within minutes of seeing the Drive print on Entertainment Weekly's site last night, I received the long awaited notification from Amazon that my copy of the Nicolas Winding Refn-directed neo-noir masterpiece was on its way to my front door. I'm sure you'd like me to believe it was all just a coincidence. You'd really like that, wouldn't you? But I know better. Oh yes, I know! I recognize it for the sign that it is: the powers that be want me to rest my F5-pushin' index finger in preparation for tomorrow's Drive release, so that I might claim my own copy of Ken Taylor's awe-inspiring poster. Amen.

Drive Movie Poster
Ken Taylor
24" x 36" - Numbered
$45 - Limited to 445

Ken Taylor is someone I've always appreciated, but it's his recent work (Gremlins, Beneath the Planet of the Apes, and of course Drive) that really has me reappraising his output. He's gone from an artist I'm merely interested in, to an artist I'm quickly becoming obsessed with. The color palette, the composition, the typography - everything screams Drive, but is clearly Taylor-made (not to be confused with the golf club company). The poster totally works for me, but it's one element in particular that immediately caught my attention upon initial exposure: the serpentine roads depicted in the background. I've seen lots of fan-made Drive posters, and some of them are great (case in point: Luis Fernando Cruz's interpretation), but I don't think I've seen any that have so cleverly utilized the convoluted Southern Californian maze of highway roads, which serve as both a fitting symbol for the film's locale and an eye-pleasing artistic choice. It's also very refreshing to see that the now iconic embroidered scorpion is nowhere to be found - while undeniably cool, at this point I've just seen it in too many times. I'm not sure how many prints of this Mondo will actually have in-hand, but there's no denying this poster is going to go quick! Good luck drivers!

Ken Taylor's Drive print will be available tomorrow (2/2) at a random time through Mondo. The poster will cost $45, is limited to an edition of 445, and measures 24" x 36". To learn exactly when the print will drop, be sure to follow Mondo on Twitter @MondoNews. And if you'd like to learn more about artist Ken Taylor (and let's be honest, who wouldn't?), you can visit kentaylor.com.au or google "Ken Taylor," but chances are you'll have better luck with the former. I'll leave you with this little diddy:
There once was a man named Driver,
Whose favorite music came from synthesizers.
He'd cave in your head,
If you messed with his tread.
And that concludes my rhyming Drive primer.
Yep! My love for the film is so great, that I felt the need to write a childish rhyme about the movie. Oh yeah, and if you don't already own Drive, please fix that!

2 comments:

  1. I can't stop admiring the work on the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite Ken Taylor print to date. He really did a spectacular job.

      Delete

No Trolling, Please.