Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Martin Ansin's "Taxi Driver" Movie Poster


If you visit this site with any regularity, you already know I tend to write reviews for film and television inspired prints that are either currently on sale or are about to go on sale. And while I'll still be pouring the majority of my efforts into those sorts of posts, my daily "Poster Per Diem" feature will focus on awesome prints that have since sold out, never existed in the first place (AKA concept posters) or just bear mentioning. In other words: this is my chance to say, "I never got a chance, for whatever reason, to write about you on this here website, but I think you're really purty and I want to let the world know." Or something like that. Oh, and Per diem is latin for "per day" or "each day."

Taxi Driver Movie Poster
Martin Ansin
24" x 36" (Screen Print) - Numbered
Included with Ticket Price - Edition Size TBD

This one's a little bittersweet for me because, on the one hand, holy shit, it's a Martin Ansin Taxi Driver poster! Again: holy shit, it's a Martin Ansin Taxi Driver poster! On the other hand, this print will only be available to the lucky folks attending a screening of the film in Austin next week. Meaning, if you really want to get your hands on one (and honestly, who doesn't?), then you'd better be prepared to pay a hefty price on the secondary market. But enough whining, it is what it is. And what it is, is a breathtaking piece of artwork by one of the most talented artists in the world for one of the most celebrated films ever made. Ansin skillfully taps into Bickle's isolation, suggesting that even while Travis is walking the crowded streets of New York City, his inability to communicate with those around him has all but guaranteed a sad and solitary existence. In the words of Mr. Bickle himself (taken from Taxi Driver):
"Loneliness has followed me my whole life. Everywhere. In bars, in cars, sidewalks, stores, everywhere. There's no escape. I'm God's lonely man..."
To learn more about the artist, head over to martinansin.com and follow @martinansin. And to keep up to date on all things Mondo, be sure to follow @mondonews on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. I live in New Orleans and am actually considering making a trip to Austin just to see this and get my hands on this poster. It looks amazing and I'm glad to see Ansin getting to do a poster for one of my favorite films of all time - I love his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Shawn! Believe me, if I had some extra cash, I'd be right there with you. To have such a talented artist work on a poster for such an important film is mind-blowing. I hope you get one!

      Delete

No Trolling, Please.